Is web video included in your business’s digital strategy? If your answer is yes, we applaud your forward thinking brand tactics. However, if your answer is no, now may be the time to explore how you can leverage video for brand growth. Over recent years, there has been a lot of discussion regarding the advantages of using video marketing online. If you Google “video marketing stats,” you’ll find millions of links to explore. The statistics are quite illuminating and can be onerous to navigate; however, it is clear that video has fully emerged as a key player in the content strategy arena.
Why video? If you aren’t on board with a video marketing strategy consider these stats:
1. According to Forbes, three-quarters of executives surveyed said they watch work-related videos on business-related websites at least once per week and over half watch work-related videos on YouTube weekly.
2. An Aberdeen study shows that those who utilize video see on average three times the growth in company revenue YOY compared to others.
“Business decision makers LOVE online video because it gives them the most amount of information in the shortest amount of time.” – Robert Weiss
How to Prepare for a Video Content Strategy:
1. Identify your strategic goals: As you look toward incorporating video into your marketing strategy, it is important to develop content goals.
2. Are you looking to generate leads? If yes, establish a metric for your video campaign against a quantitative and realistic number.
3. Do you have a complex product or service? Is education a missing ingredient in your current marketing mix? A well-produced video can provide a platform to explain the nuances of your business and why your target market needs you to fulfill their needs.
4. Are you looking to generate excitement for your business’ products or services? A video is a great tool – it incorporates the power of motion, emotion and sound. The most important component of a video is to tap into the emotion of the viewer.
Budget: Establish a budget that will ensure you achieve your goals and is reasonable for your business.
Type of Video: Defining the type of online video you will deploy is paramount to ensuring your campaign’s success. Which type of video will help your business achieve your goals?
- Brand Videos
- Educational Videos
- Social Media Videos
1. Reaching the Right Audience: Reaching the right audience, at the right time, with the right message is key to any successful marketing campaign. It is important to identify the best platform for each video within your content strategy and to consider the who, what, when and where.
2. The Message: Scripting and storyboarding your video is the planning stage for your video. This important step ensures that you communicate succinctly exactly what you need your target audience to understand.
3. The Platform: This is the right audience portion of your equation. Whether posting on your site, a YouTube channel, social media or other potential partner sites, ascertain that the platform you utilize will have the ability to reach the market you need. Targeted video ads may be a tactic to consider when promoting your video messaging. You can target video ads through social media, YouTube, Google Network, ad networks and specific publishing channels.
4. The Right Time: Is your messaging seasonal? Is there an upcoming initiative you need to promote? Or, is your message relevant year-round? In each case, deploy your strategy appropriately to ensure optimum results.
5. Engagement: The goal of an effective digital strategy is less about “views” and more about engagement. According to a recent report from Wistia, video engagement is essentially flat at about 70 percent for videos ranging in 30 seconds up to two minutes in length. After two minutes there is a steady decrease in engagement up to the six minutes at which time engagement begins to level off through 12 minutes. Keeping your brand’s web video less than two minutes will help ensure a higher level of engagement. If the goal of your video requires a longer length to achieve your goals, the same study indicates that the six-minute to 12-minute range should be considered a “safe” range.
It is advisable to consider hiring a professional to guide your business through the process of professional online video production. In the long run, having a professional manage production will ensure improved results and save you time and money.
In summary, interacting with online video is certain to continue to rise and provides a great opportunity for strategic marketers.